What to do with old toilet rolls?
When i was in secondary school we had to do something I didn’t like very much. Cross country. Every year cross country happened and every year I would come last.
One year I was determined to push through and not come last. wow. What major achievement not to be last.
One race I didn’t mind quite as much was the relay race, why cause it was short runs, and after you could pass on the baton to someone else so you weren’t expected to run the whole race. It was about teamwork.
What keeps us going. Consider the people you have around you! Not only that the people who have gone before. Hebrews talks about being surrounded. Who are you surrounding yourself with? Listen to this scripture:
‘ Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set out for him he endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God. ‘Hebrews 12:1-2
Imagine that. If there’s a load of people in heaven cheering you on, what about people around you today encouraging you to keep going.
God is with you. You can do so much more with his power working in you. I finished the race cause of that voice in my head which told me I can do it. Maybe that was Holy Spirit spurring me on.
With God’s power working in us, God can do much, much more than anything we can ask or imagine.Ephesians 3:20 NCV
Hear encouragement from each other! Here’s a little activity that can help. Grab old used toilet paper rolls and write on them encouraging scriptures. If you want some ideas of what to write go to my blog.
Then do a relay pass on the tube to someone each morning or evening and pray for them. Then they pass on to someone else.
Here’s some ideas you can write on those old rolls:
- Ephesians 1: 4 “He chose us in him before the creation of the world…” Speak out God is good over each other. You have a destiny in Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 “If anyone is in Christ he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come” – Thank God for the good news in you.
- Romans 10:9 “If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and if you believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you will be saved.” Declare together who Jesus is. Open your mouth. Pray for those who don’t know Jesus.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-2 “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings, those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.” Pray for our leaders, government, teachers for wisdom in how to lead.
- Ephesians 6:2-3 “Honour your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise), that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life on the earth” – how might you show you value your parents. pray for them. bless them that they may know more of God in their lives. If you have a parent that doesn’t know Jesus. pray for the Lord to surround them with his love that they may come to know the living God who sent Jesus for them.
- Romans 12:2 “Be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is” Ask God to help you to think differently about how we see ourselves. Speak out over each other the good you see in each other. Thank God for what you see.
Further reading see my post on ‘passing it on’ – here.